adapted from: A Year in the Kitchen
- 1 c. quinoa
- 2 c. vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. fresh minced oregano (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 2 egg whites
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer until water runs clear.
- Add stock to a small pot, bring to a boil, add quinoa.
- Turn heat to medium, partially cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off, let quinoa sit for 5 minutes. (water will completely evaporate)
- Add remaining ingredients to a mixing bowl, whisk to combine.
- Add cooled quinoa, mix to distribute spices and egg well.
- Heat electric skillet over medium-high heat, or around 375.
- Scoop quinoa mixture out with an ice cream scoop into mounds on the skillet.
- Press down with a spatula, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Mix 1/2 c. sour cream with 1 c. ranch.