Background

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Strawberry Walnut Shortbread

YAY! I have something to blog about!! It has been far too long since I have updated, but just as long since I have cooked! We are days away from finishing our kitchen (WOO HOO!!!) but I couldn't wait that long! I had the day off, so I "borrowed" my lovely mothers kitchen for the afternoon. I thought that if we had some tasty treats to snack on, it would make the last few days bearable! Tony the taste tester hasn't tried these yet, but I thought they were pretty awesome! The original recipe called for raspberry jam, so I can't wait to try that out next time! On a side note-when you put the pan in the oven, DON'T leave the oven mitt in there too. Yup, I burnt the mitt. Flames were involved. Pretty freakin' awesome.


Strawberry Walnut Shortbread
adapted from: Taste of Home
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. flour, divided
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. cold butter or margarine
  • 1/2 c. raspberry jam (I used strawberry)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 c. finely chopped walnuts

Directions:

  1. In a bowl, combine 1 1/4 c. flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
  2. Spread jam over hot crust.
  3. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. Combine baking soda and remaining flour; stir into the egg mixture just until combined. Fold in walnuts. Spoon over jam; spread evenly.
  4. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown and set. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment