Background

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Coconut Thumbprints

When I saw these cookies on this awesome blog, I knew I had to try them. I love coconut, and cookies..ahem..who doesn't?! Well they did not disappoint! I loved that the coconut was subtle, it had a "barely there" flavor, but it was perfect! These cookies would be delicious with any kind of jam, I am dying to make them again so I can try new flavors! I have to say, these were a nice change from the same old 'chocolate chips in my cookies routine.' Tony liked them, not loved. But he is not a dessert person. Unless you count Ding Dongs, Twinkies, and Zebra Cakes...why can't I ever make something good enough to top something out of the box?! Silly guy... :)


Coconut Thumbprints
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 c. flour
  • 3/4 c. shredded coconut
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • Jam (any flavor! I used Strawberry)

Directions:

  1. In a food processor or blender, process the coconut with a few pulses to chop it up a bit.

  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add in the coconut and mix well.

  3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (About 2 or 3 minutes) Add in the egg yolk and vanilla; mix well. Gradually add in the flour mixture, beating on low, until it is incorporated into the cream mixture.

  4. Using hands, form the dough into a ball and place back in the bowl, covered with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

  5. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and bake on prepared baking sheet for 14 minutes. Remove from the oven, and using your thumb or the back of a melon baller, make a dent in each cookie. Fill each dent with jam, then place back into the oven for 5 to 10 more minutes.

  6. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack to finish cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment