Background

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Happy Cinco De Mayo!!! (A day late!)

So normally I like to go all out for any type of holiday, give me an excuse to make lots of yummy fattening food and celebrate something, I'm all for it! Well I wasn't even planning on doing anything special for Cinco De Mayo since I do have an evening class that day, gasp! I asked Tony what he wanted to do for it, and he asked me when Cinco de Mayo is. UM hello?! You are the Hispanic one, yet I know this???! Gotta love him! ;) I was skeptical of this recipe at first, but I'm so glad I ended up trying it! I have a feeling this will end up on our kitchen table for many years to come!



Southwestern Egg & Bean Skillet

Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/3 c. frozen corn
  • 1 c. drained, rinsed black beans
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • pinch of coriander
  • 10 oz. can diced tomatoes w/ green chilis
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 oz. queso fresco, crumbled
  • chopped cilantro and avocado, for garnish

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Heat olive oil in an oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, corn, and beans and cook for about 2 more minutes, until garlic is fragrant. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and coriander.
  3. Add the diced tomatoes with chilis and turn heat to high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Carefully break the eggs over the black bean mixture. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until eggs are soft-set. Sprinkle with queso fresco and garnish with cilantro and avocado. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment